Photo
- - - - -

Custom Skin Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

I am 'trying' to modify/update my forum and to be honest I am lost.  I found a skin 'Aqua Essence' and liked the look of the top header section of that skin and was hoping to try and create something similar at the top of my current forum layout with my own logos and links of course but I am lost as to how to combine the 2 skins or modify my current one to the same style.

The current skin I run is a slightly modified IPB 2.2.0 default style one.

Any help would be greatfully accepted.

#2 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

Guy in Charge of Stuff and Things

• Management
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

Glad you like my skin!

However, it's been ages since I've coded anything for IPB 2. Could you specify what you liked about it, and I'll try my best to guide you?

signature_2014.png

#3 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

I hadnt realised it was your skin, very nice indeed.

What I was looking to do was to use a similar style to the Aqua Essence skin at the top up to and including the area that states you are logged in etc etc.   My forum has a slightly different blue the rest of the way down but I was just looking to tidy up the top header sort of section nicely like you had done.

I was hoping to add some social links, Youtube, Facebook, twitch in the black bar also and obviously have our own logos remade to make it that bit nicer also.

#4 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

• Management
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

I can maybe help slightly, but I haven't worked with IPB 2 since....2008? It's been forever. I barely remember anything about the code structure of it, haha. It's just far too old for me to revisit so often so I mean I could try stuff but I might need to re-familiarize myself with it.

signature_2014.png

#5 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

I can maybe help slightly, but I haven't worked with IPB 2 since....2008? It's been forever. I barely remember anything about the code structure of it, haha. It's just far too old for me to revisit so often so I mean I could try stuff but I might need to re-familiarize myself with it.

Any help would be good, Im not even sure where to start from really.  I guess its taking the code from 1 skin and putting it with the other one to try and merge them as such?

#6 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

• Management
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yeah if you want to just copy some of my code and overwrite the default code in another skin, feel free to do so. 

And then I can write up a code for social networking buttons for you after seeing where you want it and how you want it to look.

signature_2014.png

#7 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

Yeah if you want to just copy some of my code and overwrite the default code in another skin, feel free to do so. 

And then I can write up a code for social networking buttons for you after seeing where you want it and how you want it to look.

Any ideas as to what code I would need to use for the header/submenus at the top?

#8 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

• Management
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

You'll need to send me a link to the skin in use. Like I said, IPB 2 is from many, many years ago, and I don't remember the code or even the classes off the top of my head.

signature_2014.png

#9 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Link to our forum is http://www.ukdirtforum.com/ we are currently using the IP 2.2.0 Default with logos changes as far as I remember.

#10 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

• Management
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

So what about it did you want to look like Aqua Essence? Other than color, the setup is basically the same.

signature_2014.png

#11 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

Sorry not had chance to reply for a while.  I was looking at using the top section from the Aqua Essence skin the black bar (colour isnt essential), the login bar below and the logo area above similar style..  The rest of the skin I was going to leave the same as what Im using

#12 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

• Management
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

Isn't the header of Aqua Essence the same as default IPB 2.2/2.3, though? It's the same layout, just different images?

signature_2014.png

#13 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yeah the logo area is but thats fine, it was more of the menu bars below I was trying to tidy up like Aqua Essence

#14 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

• Management
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yeah but I don't see any difference. They are different colors, but everything is laid out exactly the same. Only the colors are different.

signature_2014.png

#15 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

Ive looked at this along with some other changes and gone a bit further now and upon trying to change the submenu colour from the grey colour at the top of my forum I can do that via the css colours file fine, but I also want to update what I beleive is listed as userlinks which is just below the submenu on my forum, when I change the submenu colour it changes the userlinks background colour aswell but yet when I change the colour of the userlinks background is doesnt show over the top of the submnu colour.

Any ideas as to why this could be or am I missing something?

#16 DustinRyan

DustinRyan

• Management
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

Are you editing the color from the code or through the easy color changer? It's likely both parts are controlled by the same color, so the only way to make them different colors would be to edit the CSS directly, instead of a color changer.

signature_2014.png

#17 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

I am using the css files directly to change these.

#18 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

Also is there any file that colects the information from the css_colours and the css file that relates to the skin that controls the layout like a php or html type of file I could be missing?

#19 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Ok think I have worked through these issues and got it all working.

#20 UKDirt Online

UKDirt Online

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

New issue:-

Upon changing the appearance of the submenu and userlinks on my forum I have realised that the My Assistant popup works but the window that opens is alot smaller than it used to be, so small that all the tabs within the popup wont fit on the top line.

Any ideas as to where the window size for the My Assistant popup can be found/

IPB Skin By Virteq